Coláiste Mhuire, Askeaton – A Brief History

In 1940 Mrs. Polly O’Mahony and Miss Nora Duggan (later Mrs. Hawkes) established St. Mary’s Secondary School, a lay co-educational secondary school. In doing so they were continuing a tradition of education in Askeaton that stretched back over two hundred years. In 1994, as part of an amalgamation process with the Vocational School in Shanagolden and Mount Trenchard secondary school which was closing at the time, St. Mary’s Secondary School came under the patronage of County Limerick VEC and Coláiste Mhuire was established.

Coláiste Mhuire is a co-educational community college which caters for over 500 students. The school has a modern, well-equipped campus, located on a ten acre site in an idyllic, rural setting on the N69, 14 miles from Limerick. Coláiste Mhuire continues the tradition of excellence in the provision of second level education in the area. Down through the years we have been the number one choice for pupils from a very large number of primary schools.  The personal interest taken by staff in students has always been a hallmark of education in Coláiste Mhuire. Central to our philosophy is the care of each individual student and the staff of Coláiste Mhuire work as a team, dedicated to ensuring that each individual student achieves his/her potential. In partnership with teachers, parents and guardians play an important role in the education of their children; therefore, it is our policy to welcome and to encourage their involvement and to foster a spirit of community in its fullest sense.